Pomme de Sang Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Just finished the book...some thoughts

Reply to topic    Pomme de Sang Forum Index » Skin Trade Discussion Place View previous topic
View next topic
Just finished the book...some thoughts
Gorgoneion
Human
Human

Post Just finished the book...some thoughts Reply with quote
Certainly thought it was better than the last couple of books. Far better copy editing and proofing as well.

With that said, some ramblings on Skin Trade:

1) I find Hamilton/Anita's gender essentialism mystifying. I kept expecting Anita to say "boys like blue, and girls like pink" and "the lady will have the fish, but it'll be the prime rib for me". It was that silly. I suspect Hamilton reads a lot of pop psych distillations of evolutionary psychology - like, not actual academic papers, but the Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus shit that makes it into the popular press. But since boys are cooler than girls, Anita is the one exception to any gender "rules". Anyway, it all made my head ache: for the first eighty or so pages of the book I kept thinking "Gee, none of the women I know fit that stereotype. Maybe it's a Missouri thing? Perhaps St. Louis is the Land That Time Forgot. Or maybe Hamilton is a fucking idiot."

2) Olaf/Otto - Okay, perhaps I'm a closet vigilante with delusions of Dirty Harry-like grandeur. But if I knew, beyond a shadow of a doubt, including full disclosure by the criminal, that someone habitually raped, tortured and mutilated girls and women, I'd off them if I could. Now, in the real world, this probably wouldn't happen: neither the absolute knowledge of the crimes, a scenario in which the authorities won't step in because Olaf is of such unique value to the U.S. military (Huh? Why's that again?), nor do I have the ability to kill a serial killer without getting myself killed, nor get away with it if I did.

But Anita could. But doesn't.

Thus, beyond any and all fucked up and evil stuff she may do (enslaving people, ripping people of their free will, etc.) I'd say the cuntiest of all her acts is allowing a self-admitted rapist and torturer of girls and women to roam free and unpunished and ready to kill again, as long as he doesn't actually try to kill her.

Nice going, Anita. More women will spend their final hours in pain and terror, because you're too moral to kill a serial killer. Yet happy and willing to kill just about anyone else who pisses you off.

Perhaps the family of one of Olaf's victims can hire a tall blonde women with large (natural) breasts to stand in front of Olaf, give Anita a disparaging look, and then when Anita draws on her, jump away so the bullet hits Olaf.

3) Once again, my once favorite character Jason makes an appearance, and further shows that he's now a creepy, horny, manipulative asshole. Instead of the entirely charming, horny, manipulative asshole he once was. I mourn his loss. Also can't help wondering if being further bound to two vampires (Jean Claude and Anita) is indeed less restrictive than a lifetime of serial monogamy.

4) I wasn't that troubled by the sex with a sixteen year old. Since I'm pretty grossed out by the ardeur enslaving anyone, I don't think sixteen year olds crosses the line any more than, say, a twenty year old. It all sucks. No reason that sixteen should be the cut off age for consent - it seems really fucking young to me. But then again, twenty-five seems really fucking young to me now.

5) I like to believe that most people know that Arabic isn't the major language spoken in Iran. At any rate, it's rather disturbing that no one at any stage of the book's editing caught this mistake. Especially since Americans have been rather obsessed with matters Middle Eastern for the last decade or so.
Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:11 pm View user's profile Send private message
eyeh8everywon
Vampire Executioner
Vampire Executioner

Post Reply with quote
Hmmm, I think I may love you.
Rolling on the floor
Well said and absolutely true.

"If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."--Marilyn Monroe
Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:24 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Gorgoneion
Human
Human

Post Reply with quote
eyeh8everywon,

-Thanks. And thanks for the cookie rush.
Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:35 pm View user's profile Send private message
Ruas
Wielder of El Kabong
Wielder of El Kabong

Post Reply with quote
I love you, G.

I don't care about the age of consent, what's the age of reason? Has LKH reached it yet? -- Eldritchangeling
Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:45 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
DarkasNight
hito no on-kokochi ito en nari

Post Re: Just finished the book...some thoughts Reply with quote
Gorgoneion wrote:

5) I like to believe that most people know that Arabic isn't the major language spoken in Iran. At any rate, it's rather disturbing that no one at any stage of the book's editing caught this mistake. Especially since Americans have been rather obsessed with matters Middle Eastern for the last decade or so.

I think its Farsi that is spoken there, or somthing closer to aramaiac(sp?) I may be wrong but even I know its not arabic proper...

It matters because Anita wants to be a man and the guns are her psuedo-penises.-DK
Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:29 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Cicadas_Cry
Vampire Executioner
Vampire Executioner

Post Reply with quote
G you rock!

Nimber one and two were my favorite parts of your argument. If Anita is so bent on being a guy, she could get sex change operation. Apparently, she has the money to do so (as mentioned in one of the books where she actually animates a zombie, she apparently charges a lot) .

Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:38 pm View user's profile Send private message
myladymystere
Goddess of Smut and Slashiness
Goddess of Smut and Slashiness

Post really Reply with quote
really, she still raises zombies ????
I did love your points too, G.

Anita is going to have to deal with the ardeur and ties to vampires getting in the way of being a US Marshal. Since LKH doesn't like to deal with anything and it will be at least four books before Anita makes a decision on this I hope her next book will have some zombies in it. There are a few loose ends that could be pursued involing that.
And since the walking dead that have parts falling off are not concerned that Anita's parts are female, perhaps we can have less sexist stuff in the story.

"I'm jealous and want your life, especially the red-haired bondage toy with his own built in rope." quote Ronnie to Anita from 'DM in a Nutshell'
Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:34 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Hartmann
Cannon Fodder
Cannon Fodder

Post Reply with quote
I know no one is probably reading this discussion page anymore but I recently reread "Skin Trade," and was board so I looked this up.

I loved everyone hating on Olaf/Otto, Mind you I'm writing this after "Dead Ice," came out and seven books later, LKH has yet to kill him off and she has made him a rogue werelion! Maybe I can believe Anita doesn't have time to hunt him down, after all she has what, at this point, Jean-Claude, Asher, London, Requiem (who does eventually move away), Micah, Nathanial, Nicki, Domino, Cynric, Dev, and about five other tigers to service not to mention Jade, trying to add a woman to her bed, (one she doesn't even like). What I can't believe is that Edward hasn't hunted him down, that would be a challenge the Edward from the early books would have loved.

About the Arabic.... Vitorio would have been old enough, maybe he should be speaking Sanskrit or Babylonian or some other ancient dead language. Anyway, LKH is infamous for not letting editors mess with her books, even miss spellings and typos as well as inconsistencies in her own time lines and characters. I now make a game of finding her foibles, it's fun. It also makes fan fic easier, we don't have to stick with canon because she doesn't.

I did like the bad guy vampire, the father of day. Even if again, LKH isn't very creative as to what caused his madness, holy water scars just like Asher, she could be more creative. This isn't the only book she has repeated herself. She has even admitted that the story of Jason going home to his sick father and Micah going home also to a sick father was a repeat, not on purpose she claims. Not to mention how many times she used variations of the name Nicolas through out her series.

I loved the Jin! A monster she hasn't used before, and the actual myth followed well.

My favorite scene is Cannibal trying to read Anita and she pushes back, I loved the imagery of each one with their perspective loves. I also like the conversation that being good, is choosing to use the talents for the right thing, no matter how tempting it may be to use it for ones own gain.

Hated the sex with the Wicked Truth, what a slut.

Why do we keep reading, I can't help it, it's like a bad addiction. I do love her characters, even Anita from time to time. When she goes on the road I do miss Jean-Claude, Asher (even when he's a whiny bastard) and of course smart ass Jason.

By the way, gender rolls have changed a great deal since LKH started writing these books. She's not as old as I am but I bet she still had to follow a dress code in school, dresses only for girls, and women still were encouraged to be nurses and teachers. Rosanne Barr was shocking! This all seems pretty tame now a days. (The homosexual plot between Jean-Claude and Asher was also pretty forward thinking, pre "Broke Back Mountain" and "Queer as Folk.)

This maybe for the ether only, but I enjoyed the read.
Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:51 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    Pomme de Sang Forum Index » Skin Trade Discussion Place All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: